Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Major Changes to Initiative
About The Classroom
iPad Apps in Use
Data & Observations
Support & Infrastructure
What Makes Our Project Unique?
What the Students Say
What the Teachers Say
Handling Upcoming Software
Add "All Pages"
What Makes Our Project Unique?
What Makes our Project Unique?
Update - May 2014
All 9th through 12th grade students have been issued iPads. We have integrated the Apple TV as part of the standard room configuration to support mirroring of the iPad to the TV screen as well as connecting to issued teacher laptops.
Sponsor of the Teaching & Learning with the iPad Conference in November of each year. This meeting not only highlights some of our staff and students as presenters, but also serves as a professional development opportunity for those teachers new to our program.
Technology Mini-Conference was held on our required workday in October, 2011. Staff experts with specific applications with the iPads presented to others less familiar. Instructors from neighboring schools were invited to participate in these sessions as well. Feedback provided was very positive from the staff. It allowed them to choose topics that interested them the most about integration of the iPad into their instruction.
Technology Tidbits - At the beginning of each monthly faculty meeting, a new application is highlighted and demonstrated with the faculty.
Development of our Intranet - We have begun the process of placing help files, tutorials, and other professional development modules onto the intranet to support the use of the iPad as well as other topics pertinent to our educational program.
During Flex periods we offer training sessions on a variety of technology topics to allow students to learn more about the productivity features of the iPad.
Class Specific Apps - Teachers have taken time to review and train students on the use of class specific applications. This has gone well in our French, Physics, and several other AP classes. Certainly more to come here in the near future!
Several of our veteran students who have been involved with our iPad program from the first days will be helping with a presentation at the NCTIES conference in Raleigh, NC in March. They can demonstrate first hand the increased productivity and efficient practices used in the classroom. Students have also presented at the National College Board AP Conference, ISTE, FETC, and other meetings around the state and nation.
Our school has made an effort to promote skills integral to their success in life. While knowledge and standardized academic performance is noteworthy, what sets our students apart are the additional skills related to our 15 Outcomes. This is what sets us apart from other models and use of devices such as the iPad.
• Evaluates his/her interdependence, independence, and dependence to local, national, and global communities in relation to the self.
Critical Thinker and Problem Solver
• Analyzes a variety of truth statements and/or observations through a dialectic examination of facts and assumptions.
Virtuous leader with well-developed judgment
• Generates life goals and objectives while compassionately considering individuals and the community.
• Implements continual informal learning process using mentors, texts, Internet, and experience.
Competent technical skills
• Applies technical skills to manage personal and educational outcomes.
• Critiques a variety of truth statements and/or observations through research and scientific methodology.
• Exemplifies integrity while developing trusting relationships.
Ability to find the best solutions and outcomes
• Plans the best possible solutions to challenges to achieve optimal success.
Cooperative and contributive team member
• Exemplifies an engaged and contributive member of group to achieve the best results.
Strong work ethic
• Critiques components of his/her work ethic including resilience, reliability, and honesty.
Dreams and aspirations to change the world
• Produces plans to accomplish personal and educational aspirations.
Traditional American values and entrepreneurialism
• Recognizes the importance of traditional American entrepreneurialism, innovation, and values.
Well-developed people and communication skills
• Executes effective interpersonal and communication skills taking into account the audience and positive outcomes.
• Recognizes the advantages of his/her environment.
Healthy mind, spirit, and body
• Implements a plan to maintain a healthy mind, spirit, and body to allow for optimal personal and educational outcomes.
Pre-2011-2012 school year posting:
All 11th and 12th grade students will be issued an iPad for the 2011-2012 school year. We will be posting more information regarding this deployment as we go through the coming months.
At the Franklin Academy High School, we have integrated the iPads into our student population by course. As we add additional devices we select additional courses and instructors to oversee the process. Where most schools place the iPad on a cart to be checked out by instructors and used in various classrooms, we are looking to issuing these directly to the students for use in all of their classes every day. We felt this maximizes the potential of the device and helps us to explore the many ways it can be a useful learning tool in all curricular areas and grade levels.
The Basic Steps for Integration in our Project:
1. Identify and educate instructor on the iPad.
2. Select the class and number of students.
3. Procure the iPads necessary to distribute to all students in the class
4. Students use the devices only in this class for a short period of time.
5. Students use the devices for the school day – checking them out in the morning and returning them at the end of the day.
6. Students are issued the iPad for school and home use.
7. Periodic updating and services is done at designated dates/times at school.
This is a very simplified set of steps. There are many things to do along the way. We currently have students and instructors at various stages of this process.
help on how to format text
Contributions to http://ipadfa.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2017 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"